Tuesday, August 23, 2011

German Ram Eggs

Alright, today I will talk about my German Rams.
So, a while back I went to the fish store to pick up a pair of blue rams. I had been wanting to get a couple of rams for a while, that is partly why I decided to get my 36 gallon, so that I could keep a few other species that required a little more room.
I ended up checking out a couple of different smaller fish stores that I hadn't been to before and found one that had a nice selection of home grown rams. At the time, there was a buy 2 get 1 free deal so I ended up getting a male and 2 females. (Often with different species or cichlids they recommend getting more females than males to balance out the aggressive behavior)
Turns out, with rams, they are more likely to split off into mating pairs. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that one male and female had paired off and were taking turns chasing the other female off. I ended up giving the other little female to my dad to go in his large 130 gallon tank with other rams.
Lesson learned: buy rams in pairs only. Unless you have a lot of space.

Soo, last month I came home one night and noticed my little pair of rams had started laying eggs on a large leaf. The next day I came home to find that they had eaten them. After reading up on them, it seems that this often happens for the first couple batches or if they are stressed out, until they get it right.

The night before last, they laid another batch. (This is a bout a month later)
Apparently they should take around 48h to hatch so I am going to go home tonight and see how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment